CATAGORIES:

Flips (46) Picks (42) Clicks (28) Chicks (19) Digs (19) Trips (18)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Porky Potato Soup

I am telling you, that soup always sounds good.
This potato soup is a variation of what my mom, Mammie, makes.
Mammie's potato soup is pure and basic.
Potatoes, celery, onion, butter and milk.
The recipe I am giving you today does not have celery, because I was out of celery.
I added cheese and bacon, because I love cheese and bacon.
Hey, when you are the cook, you get to do that.

So peel and wash 5 medium potatoes.
Then chunk them up.

Add the potatoes to a stock pot.
Now here's where Daddio and I disagree about cooking potatoes.
Daddio would already have the water heating while he peels.
I put cold water over the potatoes and start it all cooking together.
Supposedly, my method makes a creamier (possibly another word I have made up)
potato than the other way. 
However, when Daddio cooks potatoes, I just shut up and eat. 

So, with that said, add that cold water and heat over high heat to boiling. 

While you are waiting for the boil, chop up some green onions.
(Mammie uses yellow onion.) 

Bacon, baby, cook it up.

Saute the onions in the skillet where you cooked the bacon,
after draining all that fat, of course.
More bacon flavor. 


When the potatoes have softened, drain and return to the pot over low heat for a couple of seconds
to dry up any remaining water.
Very important step in order to not have runny mashed potatoes or watery soup.
Yuck!
Add butter, and mash away your frustrations.
When they are mashed to your liking, add milk.

Chunk up the cheese.
(You know that is my favorite cooking phrase.)
This is Velveeta, probably half a large container.
I said I love cheese, right? 

Add all of the ingredients that are waiting.
Bacon, onion and cheese.
Now, don't leave, because you have to watch this and stir to prevent boiling.
Boiling makes gritty soup.
Can I say "Yuck", again? 

Stir, stir, melt, melt the cheese and you are all done.
As always, soup is better the next day.
We usually make it and refrigerate for the next night.
That's hard, cause look how yummy it looks!
I can say, that it was yummy and creamy and cheesy
and bacony (definitely, a word I made up).
All those things that I love. 
Give Mammie's potato soup with extras a try.
You won't be sorry.


Porky Potato Soup

5 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
Salt to taste
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 stick butter
2 cups milk
Velveeta, 16 oz
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Boil potatoes in water to cover until soft when forked, about 15 minutes.  In the meantime cook bacon and saute onions in bacon pan with grease removed.  When potatoes are tender, drain water, and remember to put back on low heat for a few seconds to get all the water dried up.  Add butter to potatoes and mash.  Add milk, and other ingredients and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.  Serve or store overnight for extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment