CATAGORIES:

Flips (46) Picks (42) Clicks (28) Chicks (19) Digs (19) Trips (18)

Friday, September 3, 2010

Fiddler's Salad


I have been fiddling with this recipe, hence the name, Fiddler's Salad.
Okay, so I was giving salads a hard time in my last blog for Sharp Cheddar Cheese Soup.
I thought I should give the salad a fair shake.
Daddio and I really love this tiny little restaurant in Tulsa, OK.
It is located in the Brookside area and we go there every time we can think of an excuse.
The Garlic Rose
I have now begun to salivate.
They have a salad there that I was craving, but couldn't think of a reason to go there.
Warmed Spinach and Mozzarella Salad
Mmmmmmm.
Spinach based with the real deal fresh mozzarella.
So, here's how my fiddling has gone so far.
Oven proof plate smeared with herb mix and olive oil.
Then pile on the spinach (it shrinks, so I really mean pile it on).
Sliced fresh mozzarella.
I really don't remember if the salad has onion, but I love the green onion.
Tomatoes from Whole Foods (Where else?) that had the best flavor.
Chop everything up.
Sprinkle it all over.
So now, I have to say the first salad was not that great.
I put it under the broiler and the cheese melted and the spinach shrank,
 it really didn't have much flavor, and it was dry.
So in the middle of the night, when I do my best thinking, I figured out it needed a dressing.
Oil and vinegar, of course!
And the first time I forgot to photo the plate after it came out of the broiler, so I had to whip up another batch just for you guys to see.
So now, with vinaigrette applied all over before broiling, much tastier.
We have a winner!
I'm not sure how Garlic Rose does it, but we are good with this one.
If they ever read my blog (ha, ha!) I would be glad to be corrected.
Remember the Farmer's Market blog?
(Under Trips/4-13-10/Next Stop, Cherry St. Market)
Cute little spice table.
This is the seasoning mix I used for the plate base and in the vinaigrette.
Love it.  Put it on everything. Made in Jenks, America.
Just the usually 2-to-1 olive oil and red wine vinegar with
however much spice mix you can handle.
This blogging makes me hungry.
Give it a try, I know you will like it.

Fiddler's Salad
3 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup slices fresh mozzarella cheese
3 green onions, chopped
10-15 small tomatoes, halved
2 T. olive oil

Herb vinaigrette:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar or Balsamic vinegar
1 T. herb mix (or any dried herbs, w/salt & pepper, to taste)

Using oven proof plate, smear with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs.  Toss spinach with vinaigrette and add to plate.  Arrange cheese slices over spinach and sprinkle onions and tomatoes over all.  Place plate in oven under broiler and watch until cheese melts.


Duh, I just checked out this site for you and it says right there that it is tossed in basil vinaigrette.
(Would have saved me a dry salad.) 
(Guess I will have to try the basil version now.)


Okay, they have the cutest website.
And look, you can order on-line!
I love that!

FUN NUGGET:
Is this the cutest thing?
If I had a little girl, I would make her wear it.
2Groovydude says he won't wear it.
I don't blame him, but seriously, could someone order this
and have their little girl wear it and send me a picture?
I can't stand it, it is soooo cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment